Today is my 50th birthday.
Think about that.
As my son told me, "You are half way there." Hmmm...not sure I have 50 more years in me, but I like that he thinks I might. I'm just glad to be in a new f&cking age group.
I started my day running and taking in views of my beautiful Rocky Mountains and thinking hard.
I had the best feeling come over me. Today, I am exactly where I want to be. And, exactly where I should be.
Naturally, mostly of what I write on this blog is about running. Sometimes other parts sneak in like my kids, my husband, my dog, my friends, my travels.
But, there is probably a lot about me you really don't know - like how I hate it when people quote Monty Python!
It's not like I'm some sage or something, but I can look back and recognize things I've learned over the years, things that have become personal mantras. Here are 50 of them.
2. I don't understand pineapple on pizza.
3. Age does not define what I wear.
4. Travel is the best way to expand the mind.
5. Dogs make life happier.
6. Everyone should know how to swim.
7. One good friend means more than 100 acquaintances.
8. The most soothing sound is rain on the roof.
9. The most important work may not come with a paycheck.
10. Everyone should learn how to drive a stick shift.
11. Time doesn't heal everything. We just learn to live in a new normal
12. Confidence gained from running applies to all areas of life.
13. Being truly able to listen to someone is a gift.
14. It's okay to tell your kid, "because I said so."
15. Never trust a fart while running.
16. Airplane turbulence isn't dangerous. It's just unsettling. (Flying used to really scare me and I would tell myself this).
17. The last six miles of a marathon suck balls.
18. Costco samples can be lunch.
20. Everyone still wants their mommy sometimes.
21. You know you've got good kids when they send a thank you note without being reminded.
22. Donate anonymously.
23. Googling medical conditions will always make you think you are dying.
24. A broken heart can be mended.
25. You know you picked the right person when they give you the perfect gift you never had to ask for.
26. A fried egg is not is good Halloween costume (I know because I was one in 2nd grade)
27. OPI needs a nail color called "black toenail" for runners.
28. Gossip. What's the point but to hurt someone else or to make yourself feel better?
29. It's a good idea to let your kids feel uncomfortable and to let them fail.
30. Sometimes there is not a right decision, but just the decision you can live with more.
31. Running starts the day right.
32. Library books win over Kindle books.
33. You don't have to know what you want to do. You'll probably change careers 6+ times.
34. Your doctor doesn't know you like you know you. Take charge of your health care. Get second opinions if necessary and advocate for yourself.
35. Winter in Colorado is amazing and sunny (best kept secret).
36. Friendships can have an expiration date and change over time.
37. Don't feel guilty unless you did something truly wrong. Then, say you're sorry.
38. Being right is over rated.
39. I wish Kelly Ripa and I could hang out.
40. I wish Jimmy Fallon and I could hang out.
41. Learning to type in 9th grade was one of the best things I've ever done.
42. Your kids need you to look at them more than your phone needs you to look at it.
43. Running trails are my church.
44. Eating only when you're really hungry changes your attitude about food.
45. Chicken broth has healing qualities at mile 130 of an Ironman.
46. Social media life isn't real life.
47. Being ultra busy is not a badge of honor.
48. A good night's sleep is everything.
49. Drinking a huge malt milkshake and eating a giant pastrami sandwich right before meeting your boyfriend's family = most embarrassing moment ever.
50. You're only as old as you perceive yourself to be.
|Costa Rica. April 2016. Wait! Does that say, "VAG?"|
So, I just gave you 50 things!! Can you give me at least one of yours?
PS: Follow me on Instagram HERE for more fun. I promise.