I’m fresh off the plane and ready to tell you about Spring Break 2015 in the best way I know how.
- Number of runs taken: 3 (San Diego, Westlake Village <- near L.A.)
- Average miles per run: 5
- Favorite run: San Diego Harbor
- Number of nights our family of four shared a hotel room: 3
- Number of times we got in arguments about the bathroom, what to watch on TV or when to turn out the lights: 49
- Number of times I hated California traffic: 49+
- Number of colleges visited: 5 (UCSD, San Diego State, USC, UCLA, UC Santa Barbara. Sam liked USC the best).
- Number of really good tour guides: 1
- Number of friends I visited in LA who I went to high school with in Greece 30 years ago: 1
- Number of times I have seen her in the past 30 years: none
- On a scale from 1 to 10 how awkward it was to show up with our family of four when she was only expecting two of us: 11
- Number of times I ordered fish tacos: 3 (wish it was 90)
- Number of times I counted down the seconds until the seatbelt sign went off on the flight so I could poop: 1 (sorry, no picture. Some things are not meant to be photographed).
- Number of times I looked like a drunk college student: 1
- Number of times I looked at my babies and thought how big and beautiful they are: 35
- Number of mom points I got because we got to walk around Warner Bros studies (including the set for Pretty Little Liars) because my friend’s brother is a big time producer: infinite (for a moment my kids thought I was cool. It passed).
- Number of times we took a family picture of the 4 of us on this trip: 2 (including an airport selfie)
- Number of the coolest two blogger friend ever I met for coffee in San Diego: 2 (Teresa and Kate – love these girls. Teresa and I went to Jerusalem together. I have been following Kate’s blog for years and was so excited to finally meet her in person. She is as beautiful and dynamic as she is on her blog, btw).
- Number of seals that wondered what the eff I was doing: 13
- Number of times I remembered how much I miss the ocean (I grew up in Maryland and Greece, so there you have it): 24
- Number of random things Ken secretly packed in my suitcase: 3 (ugly swim cap, sleep number bed remote ((it doesn’t work just anywhere, btw)), pack of Las Vegas slutty girl cards)
- Number of Grim Reapers who sat next to me on the flight: 1
- Number of family selfies we took: 1
- Number of times our family of four laughed our asses off together at random shit and it felt SO good: At least 75.
So…you may be wondering what the verdict is for Sam regarding schools. First of all, we didn’t get a killer vibe from UC San Diego. Sam really liked San Diego State. USC came in first, closely followed by UCLA. He liked UC Santa Barbara, but didn’t seem as interested as some of the other schools….so time will tell.
Did you go on Spring Break this year? Where to?
If you could only choose one, would you rather live near the beach or the mountains? This is a tough one. For day to day lifestyle I like the mountains. But I LOVE a good trip to the beach.
Where do you kids go to college?