Like you guys. I run when I travel. I mean, I brush my teeth when I travel, so why wouldn't I run? It's just what I do, regardless of where I am. I also poop. Well, most of the time because traveling constipates me. TMI, but that's the theme of this blog anyway so get over it.
|Costa Rica circa 2011 when my abs were 5 years younger.|
That said, you've got to prepare yourself to run somewhere new.
- Check the weather - This is the biggest DUH ever, but some people don't do it. It's currently 40 degrees in Longmont, CO and will be 90 degrees in Tamarindo. I don't think my tights and ear warmers are going to work there. Naked running might work very well there, but then I'd scare the Ticos. My point is, know the weather so you can pack appropriately.
- Don't plan on speed. Running in a new place where you will probably get lost and where you will most likely be hungover (if you're on vacation) means you shouldn't plan your big interval and tempo workouts while traveling. Save that torture for when you get back.
- Check MMR. I don't mean to check if you've had your Measles/Mumps/Rubella vaccine (although that's a good idea too). But, check out May My Run. You can search by city and you can see running routes that other people have done where you are going.
- Remember the stuff! Don't forget to bring the obvious stuff you usually run with. Handhelds, GUs, condoms, etc.
- Use your resources. Before you go, see what's available to you to stay active other than running routes. Is there a fitness facility? Can you rent bikes? Is there a nearby pool to swim laps? Remember that if you are traveling outside of the US, most of the world (except for Burma, Liberia and the US!) is on the metric system - that means if you are using a treadmill it will be in kms/hour for pace and distance.
|In Playa del Carmen Mexico a couple years ago. View could be worse.|
That's all I got. Hasta luego!
When's the next time you're traveling? Tomorrow
Do you run when you go on vacation? Why/why not? Always
Most beautiful place you've ever run? Nevis, BVI