I think the Garmin makes me faster. Being able to check my pace all the time makes me want to challenge myself. Today I had a PR - 6.3 miles in 52:30 (an 8.1 min/mile pace).
I've been reading a lot of blogs about what fuels people when they run. Makes me think I should keep a running journal just to see if there are any parallels on the days when I feel better and stronger.. I'm not talking just food and liquid intake, but also lifestyle issues such as:
- how much sleep the night before?
- what is my mood today?
- any aches or pains?
- what is the weather?
- what did I have for dinner last night?
- did I have alcohol last night?
- what time of day did I run?
- what did I have for breakfast?
- what was the course like?
Considering these criteria, I'll look at today's run:
- Slept very poorly last night. Slept 10-12, then restless and awake until 3 am. Then slept 3:00-7:00 a.m.
- My mood was just so-so today. Tired from little sleep.
- No aches or pains (at least something's going right on this list)
- Weather was 45 degrees, dry, overcast. A chilly start, but I warmed up.
- Dinner last night: we ate out at a brewery so I ate like crap - wings, ribs, biscuit, Cole slaw, sweet potato fries
- Alcohol last night: 2 microbrews (Gordons IPA from Oskar Blues). Amazingly smooth and tasty beer, but also the reason that I slept poorly and woke up tired
- I ran at 11:30 a.m.
- I had 1/2 a banana and a blueberry cereal bar for breakfast
- Course was flat. No hills. Not discouraging. Also, no wind.
There's not much redeeming about the above except that I had no aches or pains and the course was flat. Otherwise it seems I would have been set up for a lousy run. And it turned out to be decent: I had good energy and lots of motivation. I cannot make rhyme or reason of this. The only thing I know for sure is that the less in my stomach when I run, the better. By the end of this run, however, I was FAMISHED. Came home and wolfed down pasta and salad.
What are your common denominators for strong runs? Certain foods? Your mood? Good sleep?
Different subject: DWTS starts tonight. I have never watched this show, but with all the fanfare (I am a sheep) I'm going for it. I do like Shawn Johnson and used to be huge Go Gos fan, so Belinda C. should be fun. And I saw Chuck Wicks in concert a few months back (he opened for Brad Paisley) and while I'm not a huge fan, it'll be fun to see if the boy can dance.