That all changed on yesterday's 17 mile run. Why did it go so well? First of all, it was about 50 degrees, which for me means shorts and a light long sleeved shirt.
Other things I did right:
1. Company. I had Ken with me for the first 8 miles, so when he peeled away I only (only?) had 9 more miles to do alone. For me, during long runs and races, I have to have a way to break things up. Otherwise the distance is too daunting and I feel defeated before I’ve even started. Yesterday I did a loop with Ken then did a 9 mile out and back. Somehow it felt do-able (if 17 miles ever does).
2. Purpose. I thought of Meg throughout this run. I thought of Sherry throughout this run. I thought about their families. I thought about the unbearable sadness. I wondered why these things happen. I vowed to make every day I am here the best day possible.
3. Water Break. I stopped at 10 miles at my favorite country store for a water refill. I did not blow up the bathroom (or even use it) so I did not leave a tip so they could buy more Lysol and a plunger. Maybe next time. A girl can only hope. This is right across the street from where I had a bathroom emergency a few months ago. I think I am banned from there.
If you live in Boulder County (and if you especially are a cyclist), you know this place well.
It is the oasis/watering hole for runners and cyclists.
I won’t talk about the time in September while Ironman training that I had
my cycling jacket stolen here. Is it dumb I still look for my jacket every time I am here
(even though it’s been 4 months?) I keep thinking someone’s conscience
will get to them and I will get my highlight yellow Pear Izumi jacket back).
4. Music. I brought music for the last 9 solo miles. I love doing long runs and races where I don’t do music for the first half then give myself a boost when I start listening. Favorite song to run to right now? Overseer – Supermoves. There are really no lyrics, but it will get your ass moving I promise.
5. Nutrition. I had two GUs (one pomegranate blueberry Roctane and one triple berry) and lots of water (52 oz). I just realized there is a “plain” GU flavor. That would be like chewing plain gum or using plain toothpaste. No thanks.
6. Love and Hair. I came home and made out with Heidi. Some may find this gross, I find it romantic (I love how she even closes her eyes).
8. Stuffing My Face. I came home and made an egg/cheese/bagel panini the size of my head (sorry no picture) and a huge cup of coffee.
9, Bathing. I came home and took a bath (no ice involved. I know ice baths are good for recovery, but I don’t care. Too frigid and I am not a damn polar bear). I read People magazine in the tub (sorry no picture).
A huge thanks to ASICS who sent me the Gel Noosa Tri 9 shoe this week.
How’s that for a trendy look?
This is a new shoe to me. I think it runs big (they are both size 9!) and is a bit wider than my Mizunos, but I do like the shoe and have had some comfortable runs this week breaking them in.
If you ran this weekend, what’s one thing that went right?
Favorite song on your iPod right now? I also like Timber (predictable, I know).
PS: Don’t forget all C9 stuff at Target is 40% off today (using coupon code GETFIT if you order online, more info HERE). I ordered this jacket online and it went from $34.99 to $20.99. Score! Also, if you haven’t entered my $200 Target gift card giveaway what the hell are you waiting for? It’s free money.