Before we get to the tips…take a look at this view out my back door last night as the sun was going down. Doesn’t it just give you a sense of peace? I could sit on my couch all day and stare out onto this landscape (and sometimes I do – well, not all day but you know what I mean).
As I was running on the treadmill today (I wanted to so speed work and there is no way I can do that outside right now), I was thinking about some little tips that I use in my running that I wanted to share. Just a few things that can make life easier…and we call could stand to make life easier.
1. When doing intervals on the treadmill, keep count with jelly beans or something like that (gummy bears? gum drops?). For each interval completed, eat a bean. When they are all gone, you are done (and on a sugar high).
2. When it’s cold and you’re doing a longer run outside, stash your GUs in your sports bra. They will keep warm and will have the consistency of honey, not tar. If you’re a guy, try your jock strap, but watch for errant hairs.
3. If you have problems with your water freezing in your bottles when you run (this means you are badass, btw) put in some electrolyte drink mix. The sodium will keep it from freezing. Or, you could just add a lot of salt and pretend you are drowning in the ocean.
4. If you are in need of arm warmers but either don’t want to spend the money or want to toss them once you warm up during a race, make your own from cheap socks (mine were $2.50) you buy at Wal-Mart (but watch out for this gal).
5. If you have trouble with your sunglasses fogging up outside when you run, try wiping them with a solution of 1 part vinegar, 3 parts water before you head out. Let them dry (don’t wipe away).
6. Put screws in the bottom of an old pair of running shoes and use them for snow running (see tutorial HERE).
Let’s all share our tips. Give me one of yours!