I took my own advice to sh*t or get off the pot and got a new running watch. I mean, I’ve been talking about this purchase forever: HERE and HERE. I can be such a cheapskate about spending money on myself. Probably because I am so selfless. Hah – got ya! I am actually a cheapskate about spending money period. What? We don’t need more toilet paper! Can’t you all just re-use the napkins from last night’s dinner? I mean, I’ve been making my own tampons for years!
I took the watch buying plunge because I couldn’t resist the promotion Garmin is having right now – $50 back when you trade in your old watch (only certain models qualify). Read about it HERE.
After lots of research, mostly on the DC Rainmakers blog (if you don’t go here for your gear reviews, you are nuts. This dude is so thorough it hurts. I still don’t know if he can make it rain in D.C., however), I decided on the Forerunner 210.
I chose this one because:
- It has a feminine outline in teal – c’mon you know you buy cars and shoes based on color.
- It provides “instant” pace vs. just lap pace. I am used to this with my 205 and can’t see giving it up.
- It does not have a bezel. I am a weenie. Bezels intimidate and annoy me.
- It fit my price range ($180 with free shipping after the $50 cash back and a 8% promo code I found). That’s $70 extra dollars for toilet paper. Or tampons. (Watch retails for $249 normally).
- Can be used for running or cycling. Or swimming if I don’t want it to last very long.
- Has a heart rate monitor. Yes, I am going to start heart rate training soon. Don’t get a boner.
- Is sleek and small enough you could wear it as every day watch if you want to be all full of yourself.
I am so used to wearing a large piece of machinery on my wrist, that this one felt like a delicate tennis bracelet from Zales. It’s like the 205 had a baby or something.
It feels different in part because the watch doesn’t bang up against that weird bone in my wrist that sticks out – I don’t know what it’s called but if you are an anatomy freak or an orthopedic surgeon you can let me know.
I’m going to give this baby a whirl on my early morning ride tomorrow and my run on Wednesday. Call me crazy, but I am simply having a good feeling about it. Probably because the dogs like smelling it more than each other’s butts. Weird!
I’ll let you know how it goes because I know you won’t sleep until I do.
Make any fun purchases lately (running or non-running)?