Do you do things that are “bad” for you or are considered “not following the rules?”
“Bad” is a subjective term. To some people having a meth lab and being high all the time is not “bad.” Yet, to others, eating a non-gluten free cookie with real sugar versus cane sugar is a crime punishable by death (Hello Boulder Whole Foods shoppers!)<- that’s a joke. Don’t send hate mail.
These are the things I do that are “bad” for me according so some standards, and not so bad according to others.
- I have a drawer in my nightstand that right now has three boxes in it: Dots, Mike ‘n Ikes and Hot Tamales (if you haven’t tried the 3 Alarm Hot Tamales, you must. They actually make your eyes water. Consider yourself Double Dog Dared). So what ? Pretending it is Halloween every night keeps you young.
- I don’t always eat protein 30 minutes after a workout (gasp! But, I try to eat it within an hour). So what? All that candy from the night before should tide me over.
- I drink 2 cups of coffee per day. So what? It has antioxidants and might make me remember more when I get old. What did I just say?
- I buy my second cup of coffee everyday (that totals $600 per year and I think I’m going to throw up) So what? I could be spending $1,200 per year if I drank fancy drinks (triple shot mocha cappuccino no whip 140 degrees in a recyclable cup with 90 karat gold flakes sprinkled on the top)
- I drink wine. Even while training (well, I don’t mean while on a training run, but during a training cycle). So what? I know wine has some health benefits, right? And, it makes you nicer to people.
- I drink my wine in front of the TV. So what? Some TV is so bad these days you need wine to go with it
- I drink my wine in front of the TV with either popcorn or pita chips or something else salty. So what? When you are watching the Biggest Loser and everyone is eating yogurt and drinking water I get hungry (for them)
- I watch reality TV (Survivor, the Biggest Loser, the Bachelor, the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills) So what? I think it’s good to learn that there are people richer, braver, bigger, snottier, prettier and meaner than you are.
- I rarely wash my yoga mat and when I was preparing for bow pose yesterday I was forced to smell my mat (forehead to mat and all that). Ick. You can put it in the washing machine. Did you know that? I’ve done it once. So what? It’s my sweat and stink, no one else's.
- I do a quick bath with Huggies wipes after a run if I have to hurry and get to a doctor’s appointment, the PT, whatever. So what? They’re doctors for God’s sake. If they can’t handle a bit of stink they are in the wrong field.
- I run with scissors (but I keep them in my fuel belt) <- that was just a bit of running humor.
Glad I got that off my chest!
Condemn me for the above if you must. But, I do a lot of things “right” too. Like eat my fruits and veggies, get sleep (whenever hot flashes aren’t in town), exercise, call my mom, read good books, cross train, shave my armpits, hug my kids, write trash on my blog and stare at the bobblehead of myself because it makes me feel important:
What do you do that might be “bad” for you? Do you care?