Yesterday I did a trail run with a friend who I’ve just started running with in the past few months. I knew the day would come when I’d have to break it to her that I needed to squat in the bushes. Yesterday was that day. Thankfully I’m not a self conscious or easily embarrassed person. I thought she might be embarrassed for me, but quickly learned she was not when she started taking pictures:
Now that’s a good friend.
It is torture living around here where you have to decide which of the crappy, non-scenic trails you want to run everyday. I know when I start marathon training on February 11, I need to get back onto the roads quite a bit to simulate race conditions.
After the run, my mom cooked me lunch (how cool is it to live near your mom and have her still make you meals? Yes, I’m very lucky). She made a yummy spinach quiche using Bisquick. Bisquick! The staple of my childhood! This got me to thinking bout all of the crazy foods I used to eat as a kid. Stuff I would never eat now.
I pride myself on the fact that my parents were pretty progressive and experimental with food. Healthy and balanced meals were the norm. We did not have a lot of Spam (in fact, I’ve never even tried Spam – but Ken’s family ate quite a bit of it). But, I can remember some strange crap I ingested all the time as a kid (maybe this is why my colon is screwed up):
- Raw hotdogs. Yep, by brother and I would take them right out of the refrigerator and eat like a banana.
- Peanut butter and butter sandwiches. Trans fat heaven.
- Creamed eggs. This was a specialty my grandfather always made (here is the actual recipe he gave me at my wedding shower):
- Chipped beef (aka shit on a shingle). My mom used to buy it frozen and put it on toast. I used to love that stuff.
- Uncooked Jell-O right out of the box. We would bring boxes of it to school. The way to eat it was to lick your finger and dip it into the Jell-O powder.
- Marshmallow fluff sandwiches (Fluffernutter rules, man!)
- Liverwurst. This used to (maybe still does) come in a tube and was made by Oscar Meyer. I loved liverwurst sandwiches. One time after I graduated from college, my room mate and I had a late night drinking fest and stopped on the way home to buy liverwurst. Needless to say, I haven't had it since.
- Tang! If it was good enough for astronauts, it was good enough for me.
I think a few marathons should have Tang, liverwurst and marshmallow fluff at the aid stations just to see what happens.
What weird/odd/gross food did you eat as a kid?