Please don’t get all offended because I say that the gym is annoying this time of year. It doesn’t mean I don’t support people working out or having new starts. It just means that the gym is annoying this time of year. Suddenly in January everything becomes super crowded, then by February it’s over. Where’s the follow through?
Don’t misread me. I’m not annoyed that the gym is crowded. That shows that people want to get healthy. I am annoyed that people give up and stop coming.
If you are part of the 13% (I made that number up) who actually stick to your new 2012 plan, you are amazing. You should be congratulated for doing what you said you were going to do.
There is nothing magical about January. Any day of the year is time to start. There is nothing magical about taking on a goal so huge that you’ll never be able to accomplish it. That is just begging failure. There is, however, something magical about taking one small step every day in the direction of making yourself who you want to be. That is not about the month in January. That is about every single day.
I’ve been there. Believe me. Broken promises and resolutions, failed commitments. I used to be 30 pounds heavier and not be able to run a mile. Eventually, I stopped making excuses and stuck to it. That’s all. End of story. Everyone starts somewhere.
Speaking of gyms, I read a hilarious article in the Wall Street Journal today: 27 Ways to Conquer the Gym. My favorite truths:
- No one in the history of gyms has ever lost a pound while reading The New Yorker and slowly pedaling a recumbent bicycle. No one.
- Don't fall for gimmicks. The only tried-and-true method to lose 10 pounds in 48 hours is food poisoning.
- Gyms have two types of members: Members who wipe down the machines after using them, and the worst people in the universe.
- Avoid Unsolicited Advice Guy, who, for the small fee of boring you to death, will explain the proper method for any exercise in 45 minutes or longer.
- Fact: Thinking about going to the gym burns between 0 and 0 calories.
- There is no secret. Exercise and lay off the fries. The end.
How is your gym in January?
What would be your advice to “conquering the gym?” My advice is that you don’t have to wear perfume and make up to get in a good workout.