Kiev Marathon 2012. Who’s in?
Ready… Steady!...Go!…You are running… your heart beating is rising…your muscles get more and more adrenalin. In fact, for you to run is more important than just going in for sport. Express your abilities while running Classic marathon (42km 195m)! (From the website)
Weird to plan two years out.
Weird to pick a random place like Kiev, Ukraine.
I have my reasons.
First, I love to travel, to explore. Second, I love to run. Travel + run = Kiev Marathon
Third (and the real reason), my brother and his family are moving to Kiev in 2012. I don’t know much about this city. Before I checked out the cultural offerings or even where it was on the globe, I naturally Googled “Kiev Marathon.” No better way to experience a city than to run through it, right?
Here’s what I learned:
- Cost: 70 UAHs (not the University of Alabama at Huntsville) – this is $8.78 USD.
- Time of Year: Mid-October (Oct. 13, 2012). Average temp 7* C (44* F).
- Start Line - Maydan Nezalegnosti, Main Post Office. 10:00 a.m.
- Route: Through the central part of the most beautiful European capital – Kiev city. Runners will see the sights: Maidan Nezalezhnosti (Independence Square), Khreschatik Street, Vladimir Hill, St. Michael’s Cathedral, Michael Square, Bessarab Square, Bolshaya Vasilkovskaya Street.
- Photos: Every participant will get the result and picture on finish line. After passing finish line don’t forget to smile, photographers will make pictures.
- Timing: Time will be measured by seconds on a starting number which must be reliably fixed on participant’s chest. My goal time will be 13,200 seconds (3:40).
- Charity: Support will be provided to HIV-infected people and abandoned kids.
- Perk: Everyone will be able to run hand in hand with professional marathon racer, star of show business, politician and sportsman of world scale
- Mission: The marathon is method to unite all habitants of Ukraine and other countries under Kiev autumn sky for the sake of mass impressions, emotions and getting new friends.
Take that Boston Marathon!
There is no mention of aid stations along the way. I assume they will be stocked with vodka and maybe potatoes. This will be one race where I wear a fuel belt for sure.
I have no clue how many people run this marathon. Couldn’t find results anywhere. I am assuming it is pretty small. Maybe I will win finally.
I love the idea of being united with habitants of the Kiev, racing under the “autumn sky” and getting new friends. I need some new friends, preferably Ukrainian. I also love the thought of running hand in hand with professional marathon racer or star of show business. I hope it will be the Ukrainian equivalent of Oprah.
I said, who’s in?
And if it’s not Kiev for you, where’s your bucket list destination marathon?