You read that right.
Salonpas, makers of the famous pain patch and sponsor of the Boston Marathon, is giving away two entries to the 2011 Boston Marathon on April 18. In case you didn’t know, the entry fee for Boston this year was $130 and it sold out in six hours. Ouch.
- Did you qualify, but were unable to register before it sold out?
- Have you always dreamed of running Boston, but feel that qualifying is out of the realm of possibility?
- Have you run Boston before and want to do it again?
- Do you live in the Boston area (or within driving distance) and are looking for something to do on April 18?
- Or, do you just want to meet me so we can “pass gas” our way to the finish? (fingers crossed I will be there)
You do not have to have a qualifying time to be eligible. You just need to be able to finish in six hours.
The winners will also receive a Salonpas sponsorship pack including a t-shirt, patch samples, massager, said pin and backpack.
A little bit more about Salonpas: They are the makers of the first FDA-approved over the counter pain relief patch. The active ingredients in the approximately 3” x 4” patch are menthol and methyl salicylate (an anti-inflammatory). You put the patch on a sore spot and wear it for 8-12 hours, and should get some pain relief. The patch will begin working within an hour. Feel free to wear it while naked (they don’t say that, but I do).
These patches have only been in the US since 2008, but have been sold in Asia since the 1930s. “The patches also deliver their medicine directly to the site of a person's pain. This may eliminate some of the side effects that come with taking pills. For instance, some analgesics are likely to cause an upset stomach unless they're taken with food.” (source)
Lord knows I’ve had my share of aches and pains, so I have tried Salonpas products and can testify that they work. I put mine on before bed and wear it all night. The ultra thin patch adheres effectively to the skin and will stay in tough areas such as knees, hips and asses.
To enter: Leave a comment about why you want to run Boston this year. Make it as long, short, dramatic, graphic, imaginative as you want. Please leave only one comment. Know that when you enter you are committing to the race (getting yourself to Boston, lodging, etc.). Please do not post an entry for someone else. The person entering MUST leave a comment themselves.
Giveaway will close at 5pm (MDT) on February 13. At that time, two winners will be chosen by a “panel of experts,” including me (not randomly, but according to your entry story) and highlighted on SUAR.
- Salonpas provided the two Boston entries and sent me with a Boston Marathon sponsorship pack (t-shirt, massager, pin, backpack, Salonpas samples). I did not pay anything for any of it.
- Contest open to US residents only.
- The winners will be chosen by me and a “panel’ of runners who haven’t entered the giveaway.
- Lodging, airfare, etc. not included
Best of luck friends,