Last night on the news, those damn meteorologists who love to repeat themselves kept talking about how windy it would be today. Not the kind of windy where your hair blows serenely away from your face making you look like a supermodel, but the kind of windy where you tie down your children and hide under a mattress so flying blenders don’t knock you unconscious.
My friend Hugh and I had a longish run planned for this morning. I kind of very much wanted to chicken out, but he wouldn’t let me. He said, “A little wind doesn’t stop me!” which made me feel like a pussy, so I told him I was good for 8 or 9 miles.
Hugh’s English heritage must make him a strong runner or something because he did three marathons in the past three months. He’s kind of bloody crazy like that. I knew I’d slow him down and he lied and said he didn’t care. The first four miles I could feel the wind at our backs and it even picked me up off the ground a few times. I knew the run back would be hell. And, it was. I’ve never run in wind like that. Plus, as we neared nine miles and I huffed and puffed my way into oblivion, Hugh remarked, “Oh, I guess I lied. It’s more like a bit over 10 miles.” Bloody hell! For the last half mile or I had to run behind Hugh just so he could block the 60 mph gusts. Yes they were 60 mph. I don’t even need to exaggerate or embellish like I usually do.
We did 10 miles in 1:27, so I was good with that considering the Wizard of Oz conditions.
In all seriousness, there was a major local tragedy today when the wind blew a branch into a man’s windshield impaling him. Really sad, sad news and my heart goes out to the family on this New Year’s Eve.
On a much lighter note, as we close 2011, here is a list of the top ten resolutions people make (from HERE):
- Spend More Time with Family and Friends
- Lose weight
- Quit Smoking
- Enjoy Life More
- Quit Drinking
- Get Out of Debt
- Learn Something New
- Help Others
- Get Organized
I am a rebel and am not doing any of these things (especially the exercise thing, I gave that up over a year ago). Instead, I am adopting some resolutions from this list (with my own commentary):
- Stop drinking orange juice after I just brushed my teeth (or just stop brushing my teeth altogether)
- Stop licking frozen flag poles (even if it is in honor of the Christmas Story)
- Watch more movie remakes (or just more Lifetime movies like the Christmas Shoes)
- Only eat white snow (brown is TOTALLY out)
- Spend less than $1825 for coffee at Starbucks this year (guess I’ll order boiling water every other day)
- Claim all my pets as dependents on my taxes (a three legged, one eyed pooch has got be good for something)
- Talk with a robot voice all the time (because people love this even though they claim they don’t. Especially at the drive thru)
- Gain enough weight to get on The Biggest Loser (so I can be closer to Dolvett and learn how to cook my Jennie-O turkey the right way)
- Start smoking to lose weight (What? The Marlboro Man looked healthy)
- Stop buttering my doughnuts (might use Crisco instead)
- Eat more fruit... snacks (or veggie…chips)
Any resolutions for you?
What are you doing tonight? We’re going to a PARTAY. Sometimes people invite me to things.
Happy New Year! The best of the runs in 2012 to you!